COMPLIANCE REVIEW PROGRAM
The Compliance Review Program is designed to ensure compliance with conditions, plans, or drawings as approved
by the Zoning Commission (ZC) or the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA), and to mitigate complaints about possible
violation of the approved conditions. Specifically, the program is designed to allow DCOZ to verify that an Applicant
who has obtained relief from the ZC or the BZA is in compliance with the ZC or the BZA's final order. Members of the
public, Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, community groups, and business organizations may file a complaint by
completing Form 300.
Compliance review is initiated by filing a Compliance Review (“CR”) case through the Interactive Zoning Information
System (IZIS). All IZIS users must have an account using their email address.
To file a CR case, follow the instructions below.
If you have an IZIS account, start with #4 below.
If you do not have an IZIS account:
- Staying on this webpage, see the login panel provided on the right.
- Click on "Create an IZIS account" to register.
- Once you have submitted the completed form, you will receive an email requesting you to activate your account.
- Once you have activated your account, log into IZIS.
- Click on "File a complaint of non-Compliance" and follow the instructions on the ensuing page.
Steps in the Compliance Review process:
- Once DCOZ receives a completed Form 300 with supporting documents, the complaint is assigned to a Compliance Review Officer.
- DCOZ will notify all parties and government agencies listed on the final order in question, if such notice is deemed necessary.
- DCOZ will review the complaint, final order, plans, and drawings.
- DCOZ will contact the Complainant to discuss the complaint, gather more information (if necessary), and outline the steps DCOZ will take.
- DCOZ will contact the Applicant and request the necessary information and/or documentation to verify that the Applicant is in compliance.
- DCOZ will review and analyze all of the relevant information. After careful consideration, DCOZ will make a determination. If DCOZ finds that the Applicant is out of compliance, and the Applicant is willing to remedy the issue(s), DCOZ will work with the Applicant to achieve full compliance.
- If DCOZ is unable to assist the Applicant in achieving compliance, or the Applicant disagrees that it is out of compliance, then OZ will officially refer the matter to the Zoning Administrator (ZA) at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) for appropriate action pursuant to Chapter 32 of DCMR Titles 11 and 16.
- Once DCOZ makes its final determination, a report to that effect will be issued. Copies of the report will be available online via the Compliance Review IZIS portal. To see the report, login to IZIS Compliance Review portal and click “view” next to the corresponding case number.